Since reWASD 4, reWASD permits to emulate an Xbox 360 controller, and add the mappings to your physical gamepad. Since reWASD 5.1, reWASD also permits to emulate DualShock 4 controller. You can set the desired controller in Virtual input device settings. This also permits to create combos for controller buttons. The emulation of Virtual Xbox 360 and DualShock 4 is a part of the Basic license, and is available during the 14-day trial period.
To add a Virtual controller, you need to perform the following steps:
- Press the controller button you want to add a mapping to. If your gamepad is plugged in, you can press the physical controller button, and reWASD will pick the chosen button right away if you have set Hook controller buttons in Preferences
- Open reWASD mapping drop-down list, and pick the needed mapping. All the Virtual controller mappings are at the bottom of the list, so do not hesitate to scroll to the bottom
- Add other bindings, press Apply if you want to save the changes and make the config active, or just press Save
There are some important nuances you need to know:
- If you add a Virtual controller mapping, reWASD needs to hide the physical gamepad from the system, and create an emulated one instead. If you don’t hide the physical gamepad, the mappings may interfere and cause unpredictable consequences.
- If you decide to keep the physical controller and remap only some buttons to Virtual controller, reWASD will need to emulate the controller anyway. The buttons you’ve unmapped and added Virtual controller mappings to will reproduce from the emulated controller, while all the controls that you didn’t change will work as the physical controller. This may be a problem for games that focus on a single input device (Mortal Kombat series) or assign the input device to a certain player (FIFA series), so it’s better to Hide physical gamepad and use Virtual controller only.
- If you want to make a button Turbo, you need to unmap it. When you will press and hold the chosen button, it may also reproduce as a pressed and held button, and will not work as Turbo is designed to work.
- If you want your physical controller to simply work as if it was Xbox 360/DualShock 4 controller, just add a single Virtual controller mapping to any controller button, and agree to Hide physical gamepad. reWASD assigns other controller buttons to the emulated Xbox 360 automatically: stick to stick, trigger to trigger.
- If you add Virtual controller mappings, then unmap some buttons, press Apply and agree to Hide physical gamepad — the buttons you have unmapped will not reproduce at all, since you have hidden the physical gamepad, and unmapped the buttons of an emulated gamepad eventually.
- You can use any controller with Remote Play if you choose to emulate DualShock 4.