Here’s a list of issues and solutions for them that may occur while using reWASD. A question is in the title, and the answer is below. The numbers are not connected to the topics, and they don’t have any relations to the content of cases. The answer contains general recommendations, and if they did not help - you need to contact support via one of the channels mentioned at the end of the page.
If you’re on this page because of your curiosity, you can perform the search on page via your browser (F3 or Ctrl+F) to ease the process!
1. reWASD doesn’t recognize my device
Make sure that your device is supported by reWASD; perform the Check for updates; try to replug the device. If this doesn’t help, try to reboot your PC. Check the joy.cpl to see how (and if) Windows recognizes your device. Open Windows search (by pressing Win keyboard button, for example), enter joy.cpl and press Enter. Here you have all the controllers that are currently connected to your PC. Contact support for further investigation.
2. Mappings applied in a wrong way, and they perform weirdly in-game
This may occur if you play a Steam game, and Steam controller support is enabled. To disable it, open Steam Big Picture, then go to Settings, Controller Settings, and remove the mark from the controller you are using with reWASD.
3. My keyboard and mouse bindings are messed with the native controller support
Unmap all the buttons in your config with keyboard and mouse bindings, and re-apply it.
4. I have added some keyboard bindings to the config, and the game started to lag. It also shows controller buttons in menu, which change to keyboard buttons when I press the remapped key
Looks like the game switches between controller and keyboard/mouse input. We recommend to unmap the controller fully, if you want to use keyboard and mouse bindings, and add them to other controls. If you prefer controller layout, you can remove all the keyboard mappings, and add controller bindings, whether you will use a Virtual controller, or Hardware mapping.
5. My controller has additional buttons but reWASD doesn’t seem to recognize them
Some controllers (like Razer Wolverine, Razer Raiju, Razer Wildcat, Scuf controllers, Steelseries) have additional buttons that are not recognized by Windows as independent controls: they are hardwarely unmappable. We’ve made a research, and came to the conclusion that reWASD can’t remap them the same way it can remap Xbox Elite paddles. So this type of controllers will be seen as Xbox 360 or One.
6. reWASD doesn’t launch after installation
The newest Windows update brought some changes to how WPF apps run, so some of you may experience issues with reWASD launching. reWASD simply doesn’t launch or crashes instantly after the launch. The issue is caused by graphics card utilities that inject into DirectX libraries. Please check whether you have any of these apps installed: MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner, Fresco Logiс Proxy Display Driver, Duet Display, etc. To fix this, you need to black-list reWASD from these tools.
7. I get a -1 or -5 Error
Try to reinstall the software. In case this did not help please contact support.
8. My stick/trigger keeps firing the mappings even though I don’t move it
Try expanding the deadzone.
9. I changed the deadzone but it doesn’t seem to affect stick or trigger
10. I have mapped something to the keyboard key, and it reproduces along with the keyboard key I assigned the mapping to
Unmap the keyboard key to mute the native keyboard key behavior.
11. I have mapped something to the controller button, and the mappings reproduces along with the native controller mapping
Unmap the controller button to mute the native controller behavior.
12. I installed reWASD on laptop, and my touchpad stopped working
You need to change the Windows settings and check Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected.
13. I added the Virtual controller mappings, pressed Apply, but the game doesn’t recognize the controller
Check whether it works well via joy.cpl. Open Windows search (by pressing Win keyboard button, for example), enter joy.cpl and press Enter. Here you have all the controllers that are currently connected to your PC. One of them is Virtual Xbox 360 controller For ReWASD, and that’s the one that the game must see eventually. Choose that controller, press Properties or double-click on it. Now try to press the buttons on your physical and remapped gamepad, and check if they reproduce.
First of all, make sure that you hide the physical gamepad. Try to exit the game, apply the config, and then re-launch the game once more.
If that doesn’t help, open reWASD Preferences, choose to Use Tray Agent and Enable autoremap on startup. Then you need to check your Windows Startup preferences. To do that, open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc shortcut), press More details, open the Startup tab and make sure that reWASD is enabled, otherwise it won’t work. Once it’s done, open reWASD, turn remap ON and reboot your PC. When the PC is back on, wait till reWASD Tray Agent launches, don’t open reWASD manually. Then try to launch the game, and check if your controller works.
14. I’ve applied the config, and the mappings stopped reproducing suddenly when I was gaming
Open reWASD and check what Slot is active to make sure that you didn’t switch to the empty slot by accident. If you did, open reWASD Preferences, and go to Slots tab. To prevent this in further usage, you can disable all the slots if you don’t use them.
15. I use ASUS GPU Tweak II, and reWASD is lagging
Open the C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\GPU TweakII\GTII-OSD\Blacklist.txt, and add 'reWASD.exe' to it.
16. I use Logitech mouse (G502, G300s, or another gaming mouse that has lots of additional buttons), and I have some devices that appear in device panel (like Logitech_LGVirHid01, Logitech_LGVirHid02, etc)
You can add all the devices to Blacklist. This won't affect the mappings, or mouse usage, they just won't appear in reWASD interface. Also, we recommend to check out how to initialize the gaming mouse.
17. I get an error "Unable to create a folder" while I try to create, import or save the config, or create a new profile
Please visit Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Ransomware protection, switch Controller folder access off, and try again.
18. reWASD doesn't detect the gamepad, or it is detected as Xbox 360
To make reWASD see the controller correctly, follow these steps:
- Uninstall SCPToolkit (or the software that provided drivers for your controller). Your gamepad will become invisible for reWASD (if it was seen as Xbox 360), and that is normal
- Go to Device manager, find your controller in one of the categories, open its contextual menu and choose Uninstall Device. Mark Delete the driver software for this device, and press Uninstall. Replug your controller. After this step, reWASD must recognize the controller
- If step 2 did not work and you own PS3, PS3 Nav or PS4 controller (which may happen on Windows 7 and 8), please install PlayStation Now application, install the official drivers for your controller. Then you can uninstall PS Now and use your gamepad with reWASD.
19. I have added a shortcut for some buttons, and shortcut activators reproduce along with the mapping added to the shortcut
You need to unmap the buttons that are shortcut activators, and remap the same button on Virtual Xbox 360. For example, I have mapped a combo on A + B controller buttons as a shortcut. Thus, I need to unmap A and B in main, then open reWASD mapping and add A mapping to A button, and do the same thing to B.