Here is a list of most common use cases that may occur while using reWASD. A question is in the title, and the answer is below. The numbers are not connected to the topics, and they don’t have any relations to the content of use cases. The answer contains general recommendations, and if they did not help — you need to contact support via one of the channels mentioned at the end of the page.
If you’re on this page because of your curiosity, you can perform the search on page via your browser (F3 or Ctrl+F) to ease the process!
1. I want to activate my license on another PC / I’ve reinstalled Windows, and I want to activate my license
You need to Revoke the license first. Then you can re-use the serial number on another PC.
2. Autoremap doesn’t work, even though Tray Agent and Autoremap are enabled in reWASD
Please open Startup options. For Windows 10 you need to open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), and choose Startup. For Windows 7, press Win+r, enter msconfig and press Enter, then open Startup tab. See if reWASD status is Enabled, and change it if it’s disabled.
3. I can’t add Steam games to Autodetect if I choose the Shortcuts from Desktop
Find the *.exe file for a certain game. The default path for Steam games is C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\%Game%. To copy the precise path, right-click the shortcut on Desktop, and choose Open file location. Click on the Address bar and copy the path, then paste it in Autodetect window and proceed to the needed folder.
4. The game has multiple *.exe files, which one do I add to Autodetect?
You can assign multiple *.exe files to one config. If you want to choose the exact file, open Task Manager (press Ctrl+Shift+Esc), launch the game, find the process that corresponds to the game you opened. Right-click it and pick Open file location, the needed *.exe file will be chosen.
5. I have assigned a shortcut, but the keys that activate the shortcut reproduce as well
Let’s say you have made a shortcut of A and B controller buttons, and assigned the Right Stick click to it. When you press both A and B, A or B (or both) reproduces together with Right Stick click. To make it work normally, unmap the buttons that participate in a shortcut (A and B, in this case) and add reWASD mapping to the buttons that participate in a shortcut that correspond to the buttons (A to A, B to B).
6. One of my controller buttons is broken, how do I assign the broken key to controller (and save all other mappings)?
You can add a Shortcut that will reproduce as the key that is missing. Find the needed mapping in the reWASD mapping drop-down list.
7. I want to make a 8-way D-pad
You can add the basic mappings to D-pad, then open Shortcuts menu, and create 4 Shortcuts for D-pad: up and right, right and down, down and left, left and up. And assign needed mappings to them. They will reproduce when the diagonal movements are performed.
8. I have WASD mapped to my stick and want to be able to run with it in game
Check what keyboard key is responsible for running in game, and add it to Stick High zone. Adjust the zone if needed.
9. I want the trigger to reach the maximum when I press is slightly
Open Trigger Zones menu, and move the right marker to the left. This will enlarge the right deadzone of a trigger.
10. I want to have different stick responses for different game modes
This is usually used for running and aiming. You can set the button that is used for aiming as a Shift modifier, then open Shift 1, choose the stick for which you want to change the stick response and change it in Advanced settings. Thus, when you’re aiming, the stick response will be different.
11. I want to have different mouse or stick sensitivity for different game modes
This is usually used for running and aiming. Set the global mouse sensitivity in Virtual device settings. Then open Shift 1, set the button that is used for aiming as a Shift modifier, then choose the stick you use for mouse movements, map mouse to it, then unclick Use global mouse sensitivity and change the level of sensitivity. To change the stick sensitivity, set the needed Stick response or change the Stick settings for the main layer of mappings. Then open Shift 1, set the button that is used for aiming as a Shift modifier (usually, one of the triggers is used for it), then choose the stick you use for camera moves, and change the needed Stick response or Stick settings responsively. Thus, while you’re aiming, the sensitivity will be different.
12. I bought the license and now I want to activate it
To do that, open reWASD, then click the key icon in the lower-right corner to open License menu, click Activate, paste the serial number and activate it. Alternatively, close reWASD, go to C:\ProgramData\Disc-Soft\reWASD, and delete license.dat file. Re-open reWASD, and enter your serial number.
13. When I move the stick Esc (or another key) keeps reproducing
Usually this happens if you were in Stick advanced settings, and pressed Esc to go back to main (or another buttons may be pressed by accident). Since reWASD hooks the keyboard presses, Esc (or another key) may have hooked and mapped to Stick High Zone. To delete the mapping, open the Stick advanced settings, and remove the mappings you don’t need.
14. I want to Toggle a Turbo mapping
Create the keycombo that consists of a mapping and a pause (like as if you would create a Turbo mapping). Then go Back to main mappings and pick Toggle.
15. I want to prioritize vertical or horizontal axis on my D-pad
To prioritize the vertical axis (lessen the diagonal movements) open Shortcuts menu. Then add four shortcuts: D-pad up + D-pad right = D-pad up; D-pad up + D-pad left = D-pad up; D-pad down + D-pad right = D-pad down; D-pad down + D-pad left = D-pad down. Then go to Main mappings, unmap D-pad, and reassign each of the 4 directions responsively.
If you use keyboard mappings on D-pad, you need to do the same thing, except the mapping of shortcuts must correspond the mapping of D-pad in main. Let's say you've mapped arrows in main to D-pad. Then, you need to add the following shortcuts to prioritize vertical: D-pad up + D-pad right = Up; D-pad up + D-pad left = Up; D-pad down + D-pad right = Down; D-pad down + D-pad left = Down. Also, the unmap is not necessary for keyboard mappings, unless the game requires it.
16. I want to bind the application launch to the key press
To bind the app launch to a certain key press, you need to add a shortcut for the application launch. We suggest to do the following:
- First of all, find the needed *.exe file. You can launch the application, open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), find the needed process in Process tab, open its contextual menu and press Open file location. Note, that this option may be disabled for some system programs.
- Then, pick the *.exe file, open its contextual menu, pick Create shortcut. It must be in the Start menu folders or the Desktop.
- Open Shortcut properties, and assign the shortcut that will launch this app.
- Assign the same shortcut in reWASD to any kind of mapping you wish. We recommend Hold until release mode for this type of shortcuts.
17. I need to unmap my mouse but do not understand how to use it on Desktop then
You can use Shift mode, empty Slot, adjust Autodetect or turn remap off using Ctrl+Alt+Delete hotkey. This case is described fully in a separate article.
18. I want to map mouse moves + RMB/LMB (right mouse button or left mouse button) to the stick
This is usually used for MMOs, or point-and-click games. To make this kind of mapping, assign mouse moves to the stick, then go to Advanced Stick settings, tune Stick Zones (we suggest making one big zone: lessen Low and Medium, and expand High, for example), then assign LMB or RMB to the biggest zone.
19. I need to add right/left stick moves to the combo, but I don't understand how do I do that
The element you’re adding to the combo is the vertical or horizontal axis of a certain stick, and the number is the variable that fits array from -100 to 100. For example, you choose Right Stick X axis, and 100 will be the endpoint of the stick on the right, -100 will be the endpoint of the stick on the left. Here's the graph that shows the mappings corresponding to a certain stick position:
Note, that if you add Stick move to the Execute at once combo, you need to add the Stick element with 0, so the stick come back to the zero position when the combo is over. If you add several Stick moves, you need to add the exact number of Stick moves set to zero.
20. I want to fix the blowback/recoil from the weapon
You need to use the Relative stick deflection for that. This type of stick deflection works on top of the deflection you perform, so you will be able to move the right stick freely, and compensate the recoil while shooting. Basically what you want to do, is to add the appropriate amount or stick deflection to the same button that performs fire: camera goes up while you shoot, so you want to add Right Stick down to it. Here is an example of recoil control combo:
What we recommend first, is to test it in game, since all the weapons have different blowback, and there's no universal formula to accomplish this. You will probably need different combos for different weapons too, if you use multiple ones in game, and you can add them with Shift modifiers. Shortcuts are also a good option: pick the combination of keys that will perform the shooting, and assign the macro to them.
21. I want to add the 180°/360° turn on one click
This may be helpful if you use the virtual controller mapped to a physical controller, or the virtual controller mapped to a physical mouse and keyboard. To add a one-click turn, you will need to add one of the following combos.
This one worked for 360° turn in Fortnite. Add a Relative deflection of the left stick (100) to turn right, and configure the pause according to the game you make this preset for:
This combo worked for 180° turn in Fortnite. Add a Relative deflection of the left stick (-100) to turn left, and adjust the pause according to the game you make this preset for:
Since reWASD 5.4, you can assign this type of combos to the High Zone on mouse. Basically, when your mouse reaches the High zone (the size of which is adjustable), you can execute the combo that will help the mouse move be more natural. Head to Advanced mouse settings, then tweak the zone the way you need, and assign the combo to the mouse directions. You can pick directions one by one, which means, you can set one type of combo for Mouse Left, and another type of combo for Mouse Right.
The default config in reWASD currently has this combo mapped to High zone:
You can test it in game and figure out what combo would be better for you personally.
22. I want to use the radial menu, but the mouse with right stick is too slow to pick items in it
To use the radial menu, we recommend to turn off the Spring mode on mouse. To change it and save the regular layout, please follow these steps:
- Pick the key that activates radial menu: for example, if you need to press and hold D-pad Up to open the radial menu, assign this button to some keyboard key, let it be T
- Now choose the Shift layer and make T a Shift modifier
- Proceed to Mouse sub-config
- Assign Right Stick to mouse moves, and unmap mouse moves. Open Advanced mouse settings
- Uncheck Spring mode to turn it off, and set the Deadzone for mouse, if needed
- Adjust other settings and Apply the config
This way, when you press and hold the button that activates radial menu, you will be able to move the right stick more rapidly and pick the needed option from the radial menu.
23. I want to turn off the LED on my controller completely
To do that, please open LED settings, choose the controller that you want to turn off LED for, and deactivate all the settings, Apply the changes. Then click the icon on the left of the config name (the config you want to apply), and choose None for all the options. Reapply the config, and now LEDs will turn off when you turn remap on.
24. I want to use a Gyro Activation feature, e.g. use Gyroscope on demand only
This is possible with Shift mode: you can create a Shift layer of mappings, where you set up Gyroscope mappings the way you wish. Activate that layer by pressing and holding the Shift modifier, or if Shift modifier is set to Toggle, click once to activate Gyro layer, and click once again to get back to Main mappings and disable Gyroscope.